Vista Dental Center recommends having advanced professional cleanings and exams to help keep your teeth for life! Having build up professionally removed from your teeth and getting a check up can keep your mouth healthy. Bi-annual dental cleanings and exams can also spot small problems before they become painful and expensive.
Advanced professional cleanings and exams are typically covered by many insurance plans at 100%. A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by Dr. Garza or an associate dentist at your initial dental visit, which includes the following:
• Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
• Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
• Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
• Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
• Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Advanced professional cleanings are performed by one of our Registered Dental Hygienists. Your cleaning appointment will include a dental exam and the following:
• Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
• Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
• Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.